Pesto is one of my favorite summer treats and with the abundance of basil and greens I end up using pesto on everything! This spread is delicious and makes a ton so you can share it with your friends or freeze it for those winter months when you crave green.
I am not a huge fan of pine nuts but I always have raw sunflowers around for salads and home made trail mix so I used them in this recipe and with kale added this pesto becomes a great source of iron and nutrients! Try adding hemp seeds or a bit of spirulina to boost it even more.
Try this pesto on grilled cheese, fish, pizza, bagels, eggs or my favorite baked with cheese for a yummy chip dip!
What you need
- 1 c raw sunflower seeds
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1 cup of basil, this was 2 bunches for me
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/2 c shredded asiago cheese ( you can use parmesan too I just prefer asiago)
- 1/4 c water
- salt to taste
How to make it
- put sunflower seeds in blender or food processor and pulse until ground to a powder
- chop up kale, removing the spine ( the large hard part in the middle of the leaf)
- add kale and olive oil to blender and pulse, add a bit of water as needed to get it to blend
- add basil and cheese and any more water if needed and blend until smooth
- you may have to stop the blender and push the pesto down and mix it up every few seconds
- add a bit of salt to taste
- store in a freezer bag in heh freezer or in a Tupperware in the fridge.
*For pasta sauce add water and more olive oil to make it a bit thinner .